Home-based Assistive Technology Training Program
In light of COVID-19, this program is temporarily closed. View our homepage for the latest details on reopening.
The Home-based Assistive Technology Training Program provides a wide variety of essential training services for people directly in their home. The program serves people in the Chicago Area, and is an ideal service for those who lack transportation options, or who desire to be trained on technologies in the environment in which they intend to use them. Examples of technologies which we can train on include:
- Desktop and handheld electronic magnification devices (CCTVs)
- Optical character recognition/text-to-speech (‘read-aloud’) devices
- Computer technologies including screen reading and magnification software, designed to allow people with a visual impairment to use their computer
- Tablets and smart phones (iPad, iPhone, Android devices), including using the built in apps, and specialized apps designed to aid people with a visual impairment
- Head-borne electronic magnification devices such as eSight and IrisVision
- Braille displays and note-takers
Home-based assistive technology training services cost $115 per hour, with an additional $40 one-off payment if travel beyond 50 miles is required.
For more information please contact: