COVID-19 Resource Guide
Below are accessible resources that have been compiled to help our communities through social distancing and isolation.
COVID-19 ACCURATE AND UPDATED INFORMATION
If you are searching for accurate and accessible information about Coronavirus (COVID-19), one option is to use Apple’s new COVID-19 website and app. These were created in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the White House Coronavirus Task Force, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The app and website contain the same information.
CONNECT WITH OTHERS
- Join a Discussion Group call with Hadley on crafting, writing, gardening, cooking, tech, etc.
- Join a free live “Telephone Topics” discussion with Mather.
- Join a Community Conference call with American Council of the Blind
- Connect with the Albinism community at NOAH through social distancing virtual meet-ups
- American Foundation for the Blind created recommendations for ways to stay connected with neighbors and families nearby
- American Foundation for the Blind shares ways to maintain connection with digital and telephone support groups
GET THINGS DONE
- Call APH Connect hotline to find vision impairment resources 1-800-232-5463
- Download Aira App
Use the camera on your smart phone to make a video call to a professional representative that can assist you with any visual task through video for up to 5 minutes for free. They also have up to 30 minute calls free for businesses, remote learning, and job seeking. They have physical locations they have unlimited free calls that include Target, Walgreens, Bank of America.
- Review product directions on directionsforme.org
- Download Be My Eyes App
Use the camera on your smart phone to make a video call to a volunteer that can assist with you with visual tasks for free through the camera.
- Sign up for GoGoGrandparent to order an Uber or a Lyft by phone call.
a. GoGoGrocery to order grocery delivery by phone
b. GoGoGourmet to order restaurant food delivery by phone
- Have prescription medications delivered for free through CVS
- Have prepacked dosed prescription medications delivered by mail through Pill Pack. Call (866) 332-1668 to sign up or go to pillpack.com
- Sign up for ScripTalk an audio prescription reader device by calling 1-800-890-1180 or go online
- Get free assistance filing your taxes
GUIDE DOGS, PETS AND THE CORONAVIRUS
- American Foundation for the Blind answer questions about considering the safety of guide dogs and companion animals.
- Do an audio lead work out with BlindAlive
- Sign up for National Library Services and download BARD app for free audio books for the visually impaired
- Sign up with Bookshare for unlimited access to audio books for $50/year; free service for students.
- Participate in a survey studying how this pandemic is effecting individuals with vision loss
- Listen to updates on COVID-19 through NFB-Newsline
- Listen to audio described TV shows and movies listed here
- American Foundation for the Blind created a page of accessible games
KEEP YOUR KIDS BUSY
- American Foundation for the Blind created a page for accessible education resources
- National Federation of the Blind distance education resource
- Paths to Literacy Resources for COVID school closures
- Join the Virtual ExCEL Acadmey with American Printing House
- Check the city of Chicago’s website for further resources in regards to food, housing, education, employment and healthcare during the COVID-19 crisis.
KEEPING HEALTHY AND FED
- American Foundation for the Blind created a page for having it delivered! Accessible grocery and food delivery
- American Foundation for the Blind created a page for staying active with accessible fitness tools
WORK FROM HOME
- Free Audio Book on Zoom Accessibility
Listen to this episode of Main Menu on Zoom Accessibility
- Freedom Scientific is now offering free accessibility software trials through June 2020 for JAWS, ZoomText, and Fusion as well as free trainings 2x/week.
- Google Meet Accessibility information
- American Foundation for the Blind compiled 5 accessibility actions you can take when you’re moving your conference or classes online
WORSHIP IN YOUR HOME:
Check your local place of workshop, many are offering live streaming as well as recorded services on demand.