The Chicago Lighthouse Scholarship Program
Announcement: The 2015 Chicago Lighthouse Scholarship application is now available!
DEADLINE: Friday, March 27, 2015 by 5:00 p.m.
40 awards were presented to outstanding students who are blind or visually impaired from across the United States pursuing higher education on Saturday, July 19, 2014.
"After all of the sacrifices my parents made, and all of the struggles I faced as a visually impaired student in a new country, I was admitted to Stanford University. However, the reality of Stanford's cost quickly stifled our excitement. It didn't seem like we could afford it. That is, until I was notified that I had received a scholarship from The Chicago Lighthouse and Lader Family Foundation. Thanks to this support, I was able to fulfill my dream of attending Stanford and enjoyed the most gratifying year of my life."
2014 Chicago Lighthouse Scholarship Recipient
The Chicago Lighthouse Scholarship Program was established in the Spring of 2004 by a member of The Chicago Lighthouse Board of Directors. To date, over 350 students have received scholarships to pursue their dreams of a college education.
Scholarship money may be used for education-related expenses, including tuition, technology (such as computers and software), readers, books and classroom materials, housing, transportation, and any other educational items approved by the Scholarship Committee.
A review of the data acquired since the program’s inception reveals a stunning employment rate over double the national average for adults who are visually impaired or blind.
Please know in order to receive a scholarship; you must be able to attend the scholarship ceremony. This year’s scholarship ceremony will be held on Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 2:00 P.M.
A completed application includes:
- Completed Application (Please send as a separate Microsoft Word attachment)
- Personal essay (Please send as a separate Microsoft Word attachment)
- Eye Report (This document MUST be mailed)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (Please have the individuals writing the letters of recommendation send it to the scholarship coordinator’s email as a Microsoft Word attachment.)
- Financial Statement of Need (Please send as a separate Microsoft Word attachment)
- Official Transcripts from the school you are currently attending. (This document MUST be mailed).
Each of these items is discussed in more detail on the Scholarship Application.
Please submit your completed application to: Scholarship Coordinator, Araceli Heredia
1850 W. Roosevelt Rd
Chicago, IL 60608
Ph: 312.666.1331 ext 3548
For more information, please contact:
Araceli Heredia, Scholarship Coordinator
312-666-1331 ext. 3548