The Chicago Lighthouse Scholarship Program
Looking forward to applying for the 2016-2017 academic calendar year? Look for our current application in January of 2016.
The deadline is typically the last week of March.
38 awards were presented to outstanding students who are blind or visually impaired from across the United States pursuing higher education on Saturday, July 25, 2015..
“Without the support from the Lighthouse for the last two years, I wouldn’t have thrived this far in my educational career and I know, deep within my heart, that they will help me to strive further. The Chicago Lighthouse has been nothing but a supportive, genuine family to me and they are indeed an essential piece to the puzzle of my academic – and soon to be – career journey.”
The Chicago Lighthouse Scholarship Program was established in the Spring of 2004 by a member of The Chicago Lighthouse Board of Directors. To date, over 400 students have received scholarships to pursue their dreams of a college education.
Scholarship money may be used for education-related expenses, including tuition, technology (such as computers and software), readers, books and classroom materials, housing, transportation, and any other educational items approved by the Scholarship Committee.
A review of the data acquired since the program’s inception reveals a stunning employment rate over double the national average for adults who are visually impaired or blind.
Please know in order to receive a scholarship; you must be able to attend the scholarship ceremony held in June.
A completed application includes:
- Completed Application (Please send as a separate Microsoft Word attachment)
- Personal essay (Please send as a separate Microsoft Word attachment)
- Eye Report (This document MUST be mailed)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (Please have the individuals writing the letters of recommendation send it to the scholarship coordinator’s email as a Microsoft Word attachment.)
- Financial Statement of Need (Please send as a separate Microsoft Word attachment)
- Official Transcripts from the school you are currently attending. (This document MUST be mailed).
Each of these items is discussed in more detail on the Scholarship Application.
Please submit your completed application to:
Scholarship Coordinator, Maureen Reid
1850 W. Roosevelt Rd
Chicago, IL 60608
Ph: 312.666.1331 ext 3655
For more information, please contact:
Maureen Reid, Scholarship Coordinator
312-666-1331 ext. 3655
Other scholarship resources: